Monday, July 21, 2008

More Details

Still no confirmation yet on whether we'll be having a girl or boy. The unofficial ultrasound says its a girl. We're waiting for the next one which should be July 30th.

We should get a "hospital plan" at some point soon telling us our birth mom's wishes. These are always subject to change at the last minute but from talking with our birth mom it sounds like she wants us there for the delivery and wants me to be the first one to hold our little one.

Our birth mom will be staying in an extended stay for the duration of her pregnancy. There are lots of details behind this. And yes, we're the ones paying for it but that's fairly normal for the adoption process.

We do talk with our birth mom about once a week on a prepaid cell so she doesn't see our name on any caller ids. She does not and will not know our last name. In her mind, we are just Bryan and Angie from Georgia. In our conversations we're carefully not to share too many details to help her figure out our location. In the end we'll most likely be sending her photos and letters a couple of times a year through the adoption agency and she can do likewise. This is another detail that has to be decided.

I know lots of you have had questions. If I left any thing out, don't hesitate to ask. Its a fascinating process and I know some are considering it for themselves in the future. We'd love to share more.

When we sent our picture profile to our birth mom we included the following short video of Winston. Since she loves dogs we thought she'd like it and we hope you do, too. Poor Winston - he has no idea that he is going to be demoted to the official dog of the family in the next few months!

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Whirlwind Week or Two (Check out the end!)

In over a week we've had THREE situations presented to us. The first one we knew pretty much right away that it was not for us but we took the weekend to weigh it out. Then on Monday called the agency to say it wasn't for us. Seemed like minutes afterwards we had another call for another situation. Initially it sounded great! By the next morning we were on the phone with the birth mom. What a surreal situation! What does one say to a woman who is considering giving us her baby? What an honor it is to even make it that far in the process! Despite it being an honor to speak with her and considered by her, we knew deep in our hearts that her baby was not ours. It took several hours to process what was in our heart and then had some family members and a few friends specifically praying for us confirming what we were feeling. That was a great relief to us. We know all the more we made the right decision.


(A brief thanks - We're so thankful for those of you standing in faith believing for the right little one to be in our home. This is one process we truly can't do alone. Also, the advise of our adoption consultants has been invaluable and we're grateful for them. It would be such a scary process if we didn't have them on our side. Also, the Lord has brought the right agency representatives to us. Thank you, Lord -Your kindness is great, support is amazing, and leading is distinct!)

So as we knew the second door was to be closed we were emotionally drained. We had been on the phone a combined 8 + hours in a day or so. On the flip side, we have a clearer understanding of what type situation we want to be matched with. There are SO MANY different types of adoption scenarios out there. We would like a situation where 1. the birth mom has clearly decided not to have an abortion, 2. prefer a teenager and 3. someone that wants her child in a Christian home.


That said, we had another phone call from an agency on Wednesday. When we saw the caller id we were trying to hand the phone off to one another and thinking, "Here we go again!" and then praying, "God give us grace for this call especially if its not a situation that is for us." Saying no to these situations is not fun and extremely draining emotionally.

Fortunately, this situation is right up our alley. The birth mom has: 1. clearly said no to abortion; 2. is 17 years old; and 3. requested that the adoptive parents be Christians. After talking with her over an hour and half on Saturday night we've decided she's the one and she's decided we're the one! It's a match! Sometime at the end of September or early October we will be heading to California to get our baby!!!!

If it comes to mind, pray for our birth mom. I know she needs great grace to give up her little one. She's so touched our hearts with her willingness to place her baby in our home. The least we can do in response is pray and to ask for others to pray for her. She's a gem! She's mature beyond her years in many ways, sincere, goal-oriented and we are believing for a bright future ahead of her!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Twins????

On Friday, June 13 we found out twins were available. Bryan was game so we asked to be presented. Then we found out there was only one baby and it will be due in October. So we're being presented this week.

Then yesterday we came home from our Fathers Day celebration and there was a message saying a baby boy had been born and a family was needed. (Wow, it could really happen that quick!) But when we called to see about getting him we were told a family had already been found.

This adoption process is crazy! It could be super slow or super fast! Time tables have to be thrown out the window!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Two Doors Closed

Our leads from the two agencies last week are no longer leads. Both found others families to place their babies with. We prayed for the doors to close QUICKLY if these were not matches for us and they truly did.

Back to square one in the waiting process!

Monday, June 2, 2008

Silence Broken

Part of the adoption process can involve days or weeks of nothing. Its only silence! We've been checking a few of the adoption agencies websites daily to see if they are any potential matches for a baby and there has been nothing for about a month until last week. We've asked to be presented to a birthmom who is due June 21st - only weeks away! If she feels we're a match for her then we should be contacted in the next week or so.

We also received a call from another one of our agencies last week that doesn't list their available situations online to see if we want to be presented to one of their birthmoms who is due in September. Who knows what life holds for us with either one of these situations? We're still praying for God to open the right doors and close the wrong ones for us!

So in the midst of the silence you might be wondering what we've been up to -

The week before last we were in Lakeland, FL at revival meetings. Last week there were revival meetings at the Cobb Civic Center at night and during the day. In both places we had prayer to be able to have kids! Wouldn't that be wild having two little ones close together! It would be a joy!!!

One other exciting thing - the last of the Kessler brothers graduated from high school! We're proud of him! Here's our picture with Stephen plus one where he has his three basketball state championship rings on and one national championship ring. He's heading to KSU in the fall for a year or so but before that to Australia for his graduation gift!












Thursday, May 15, 2008

Our Adoption Video

Here's a very rough version of our adoption video! The birthmoms will either watch this or look at a booklet with similar pictures. Sorry we couldn't get it to play any clearer!

Monday, April 28, 2008

Big Steps of Faith

As we've worked on filling out a bazillion agency applications and have read the risk of adoptions it is hitting me that we are making our biggest step of faith yet in adopting! Seems like so often when the Lord leads us to do something we can easily and almost blindly step out in faith initially without knowing the details of what He is truly calling us to do. But in the midst of it is where the true faith is tested and challenged.

Adoption isn't cheap in any way! First it cost a chunk of change but there is also the investment of hours of time and energy, prayers as well as emotions! (As a side note, my insight on us as Christian being "bought with a price" from 1 Corinthians 6:20 is deepening all the more. ) So now we're getting ever closer to turning in a large sum of money and as the paperwork says, "There is a risk to any adoption" We just don't know what can potentially happen. Adoptions fall through every day and people loss thousands upon thousands of dollars in the process. The test is arising as the honeymoon, endorphin stage of the idea of adopting is rubbing off, the rubber is hitting the road and the risk factors are being made known.

God is good in the midst of it all. Many of you know that Bryan's dad wrote a book on hearing God's voice which has tremendously impacted our lives and lately these principals are being put before us again. We're reading a John Elredge book Walking with God which has similar principals and scriptures in it. God is reminding us to not just seek the advice of our adoption consultant but to seek His advice at every turn of this process. We will hear His voice and hearing Him will substantially eliminate our "risk" factor! This is our greatest form of insurance. So here we go! We're sending out our applications and now believing in faith that we will be lead forth in peace and in joy (Isaiah 54:12) and get our baby.